Wednesday, April 17, 2013
The Wednesday afternoon fire was out in less than an hour.
The Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services is investigating a fire that broke out near CSX tracks Wednesday afternoon, according to the department. The fire, on Sylvan Lane, was called in a little before 1:30 p.m. and was knocked down in 35 – 40 minutes, according to Battalion Chief Eric Proctor. Proctor said that the fire was on either county- or state-owned land, near the CSX tracks. CSX crews were doing some work on the tracks, Proctor said. Investigators are looking into whether the work was related to the fire.
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Howard County firefighter trainees participated in a controlled burn on Tuesday in Ellicott City.
Clouds of smoke billowed from two buildings in Ellicott City Tuesday morning as firefighters worked hoses to control the flames. At times the fire was large, but nothing too out of control. The event was a training exercise for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services. In all, three buildings were burnt down by HCFDRS to give new recruits an opportunity to gain hands-on fire experience. Watch the video above to see a demolition burn, in which firefighters ensure flames don't spread as a house burns itself to the ground. The training took place at a wooded property off of College Ave. in Ellicott City. The buildings were donated to the fire department by the property owner, according to Battalion Chief Eric Proctor. …
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Oils on the transformer are 'potentially hazardous,' according to fire department.
The Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services (HCDFRS) are evacuating some residents after a transformer fire this morning, according to a HCDFRS spokesperson. Crews responded to the 3300 block of N. Chatham Road at about 10:15 a.m. Thursday, according to spokesperson Jackie Cutler. As of about 11 a.m., there was no fire at the scene, but a "potentially hazardous" oil on the transformer is smoldering, leading to the evacuation of some nearby apartments. HCDFRS has contacted Baltimore Gas and Electric Company.
Sunday, July 29, 2012
A bird was reportedly the cause.
A small fire was extinguished on the deck behind the Architecture Collaborative on Main Street after a downed power line energized a fence and started the fire, according to fire officials. Main Street between Ellicott Mills Drive and Old Columbia Pike was closed on Sunday morning while officials worked to put out the fire and restore the power lines. "The fire was confined to the deck, but we had to wait for BGE to put it out," said Battalion Chief Christine Uhlhorn of the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services. The fire started at about 9 a.m. Sunday and was extinguished about 30 minutes afterwards, according to Uhlhorn. "Apparently the whole thing started from a bird," said Uhlhorn. Nearby residents said they could hear …
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Howard County fire officials plan to burn down house on Tuesday.
If you see a house engulfed by flames near the Maryland School for the Deaf on Tuesday, it is probably firefighters doing training. The Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services tweeted from its official Twitter account that it would be burning a Waterloo Road house down on July 10. @HCDFRS at 3:01 p.m. via TweetDeck yfrog.com/nuzt8cqhj #HCDFRS is doing a #training burn in the 5900 blk of Waterloo Rd in #Elkridge. House will burn down Tues 7/10. Did you see it? Add your photos to the article. Just click "Upload Photos and Videos" below the image. Related Stories:
Sunday, July 1, 2012
No one was injured in the two-alarm fire on Manor Lane
Fire crews from two additional counties were called in to help fight a fire Saturday night in Ellicott City, according to local officials. A passer-by called police to report a house on fire on the 4800 block of Manor Lane at about 11:40 p.m., according to a statement released by Eric Proctor, Battalion Chief at the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services. When crews responded, they found smoke and heavy fire on all three levels of the single family house, according to Proctor. HCDFRS requested a second alarm, according to Proctor, and units from Montgomery and Anne Arundel County reported to the scene. Proctor said the fire was brought under control in a half hour; no firefighters were injured and the homeowner was not home …
Monday, June 11, 2012
More than 100 firefighters responded, according to reports.
Fire engulfed a vacant warehouse on the 500 block of S. Broadway in Baltimore City's Fells Point neighborhood on Monday afternoon, reported The Baltimore Sun. Two firefighters suffered minor injuries. More than 100 firefighters were called in to assist with the fire, which was reported at 1:40 p.m., according to WJZ. It was still ablaze at 4 p.m., when the roof had collapsed. Firefighters combated the blaze from outside. Personnel from Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services provided mutual aid, Councilwoman Courtney Watson (D-Elkridge/Ellicott City) stated on Twitter, posting: "Keep safe #hoco first responders." Buildings next to the warehouse were evacuated, according to The Baltimore Sun, which reported that two …
Thursday, May 3, 2012
The Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services showed off its best on Wednesday night.
Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services administrators and local leaders gathered at Bridgeway Community Church in Columbia on Wednesday evening to honor some of the department's bravest members over the past year. The Firefighter of the Year award went to Jeremy Clancy, who is a hazardous materials expert for the department and a technician at the Emergency Operations Center. "His work with [the National Institute of Standards and Technology] has led to a new standard by the American Society for Testing and Materials for collecting bio terror substances," said department spokesperson Jackie Cutler. "In our department, he’s known as the HazMat Go To Guy and is open to sharing his expertise with anyone willing to listen." Also …
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
The Centennial community came together after a local family's house burned to the ground.
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Fire crews from two counties fought a blaze in an abandoned mill on the county line.
Firefighters from Howard and Baltimore County responded to a fire in the old abandoned Simkins mill warehouse on River Road Sunday evening. The first call came at 6:16 p.m. for fire in the roof. Crews responded to the old warehouse, which is located just past the intersection of Thistle and River Road near the Baltimore-Howard county line. John Kuruc, a Baltimore County fire division chief out of the Westview Station, said when crews first responded there was fire showing on the roof of the old mill. The area does not have any hydrants, but water from the responding engines were able to pump enough water onto the fire. The fire was out within 30 minutes. No injuries were reported and no one was in the building at the time. Firefighters on …