As Hurricane Sandy approaches Maryland and conditions deteriorate in Howard County, the county has planned closures and announced the location of one shelter for residents without power.
Closed Tuesday, Oct. 30:
- All County Government offices
- Early Voting
- Trash and Recycling is cancelled Tuesday
- All County parks and Department of Recreation & Parks Community Centers/facilities will be closed and all Recreation & Park programs are cancelled
- The Howard County Health Department
- All HCPSS schools
- Howard Community College
- Howard Transit services
- The Circuit Court and District Court Houses
- Some Columbia Association Facilities
- Columbia Mall closed until 2 p.m.
- The Columbia pathway system
Monday at noon the Florence Bain Senior Center, 5470 Ruth Keeton Way in Columbia, will be open for residents who find themselves in the dark. Pets will be allowed at the shelter.
The county is asking residents to bring only essentials to the shelter:
- Medications and medical equipment
- Personal care items
- Sleeping bags or bedding
- Food and crates for pets
- Small items/toys for children
- Headphones for any media devices
Residents can call the county's call center at 410-313-2900 for updated information about storm-related resources.
The county's water buffalo is in place to supply residents with fresh water at the Gary J. Arthur Community Center, 2400 Route 97 in Cooksville.
Early voting has been canceled for Monday. It will likely be rescheduled for Friday, according to Gov. Martin O'Malley.