"Howard County has made a commitment to improve the economy, appearance and image of Ellicott City’s historic downtown and neighborhood business district," according to the resolution.
Related: County Executive Pledges Support for Ellicott City's Main Street
The resolution is attached and available here. It states that the governing body in Howard County "endorses and supports" the Ellicott City Historic District Partnership in pursuing and participating in the Main Street program.
The Main Street Maryland designation would "build on recent momentum in Ellicott City," according to a statement from Howard County, which cited the following achievements:
- Commitment of $4 million in capital investments from Howard County over two years for a terraced pedestrian connection between circuit court and Main Street, parking lot improvements and storm water upgrades
- Selection by Benjamin Moore in its "Main Street Matters" competition, resulting in a new coat of paint on Main Street applied in recent weeks
- Attainment of Community Legacy funding for façade and streetscape improvements
- Successful relaunch of Saturday community market
- Placing among top four in Parade magazine's "Best Main Street" contest