Oily Rags Lead to Ellicott City Fire

Crews were able to keep a garage fire from spreading into a home.

Fire crews spent an hour and a half this weekend fighting a garage fire to keep it from spreading to a home in Ellicott City, according to officials. 

Firefighters from the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services (HCDFRS) received an alarm and a call at about 6 a.m. Sunday for a fire on the 5100 block of Britton Lane. 

According to HCDFRS spokesperson Adam Nolder, when crews arrived at the scene, they saw smoke coming from an attached garage. Crews used saws to open up the garage door. Once inside, firefighters extinguished the fire in the garage, preventing it from spreading to the rest of the house, according to Nolder.

Damage to the house and garage contents was estimated about $13,000, according to Nolder. No firefighters were injured and the residents had gotten out and were outside when firefighters arrived on the scene.

Fire investigators determined that improperly disposed oily rags started the fire. When put in unventilated containers or bags, oily rags can spontaneously combust. 

For more local news, sign up for the Ellicott City Patch newsletter . Keep the conversation going on Facebook and Twitter


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »