When it comes to Christmas trees, the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services has some tips to help you stay safe.
On its Facebook page, HCDFRS lists these tips to reduce the chance of a tree going up in flames:
- Do not place your tree close to a fireplace, heat vent or other heat source
- Do not flick cigarette ashes near a tree
- Do not put a tree up too early, or leave it up longer than two weeks
- Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times
- Never put branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove
- Discard your tree as soon as it becomes dry
Howard County's Merry Mulch recycling program has, since 1993, helped residents recycle trees for free. The trees are delivered to a compost facility where they are recycled into compost and mulch.
Check back with Patch in a few weeks for updated information on Merry Mulch.
And remember—water your tree. Watch the video—courtesy of the National Fire Protection Association and Underwriters Laboratories—to see what a difference it can make.