As holiday shopping and parties increase through the end of the year, Howard County Police Chief William McMahon announced that the department is putting more officers on-duty to patrol stores and enforce traffic laws.
Here is a list from HCPD to help residents stay safe during the busy next few weeks:
- When shopping, travel with a group or in pairs, and schedule shopping trips during the day.
- Stay alert, especially when carrying packages or walking on a parking lot or in a garage.
- Avoid carrying too many packages, and leave one hand free to access keys or a phone quickly.
- Select an area to park where there are other cars and foot traffic.
- Don’t leave cell phones, purses or other valuables in a parked car – especially in plain view.
- If you are expecting a delivery, ask a neighbor to bring the packages inside if you will not be home.
- When the holidays are over, don’t put boxes for electronics or valuables in plain view on recycling day. Collapse boxes, and put them in your recycling cart or bind them with tape to deter thieves.