Ellicott City Man Dead In Suspected Generator-related Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Police remind residents without power not to use generators in their homes.
An Ellicott City man died last night from what Howard County Police say was likely carbon monoxide poisoning.
His wife and son were in critical condition.
Police said they received a 911 call from a 19-year-old woman at 10:45 p.m. Monday. She told police she had been staying with a friend after her family had lost power during Huricane Irene.
The woman said that she could not reach her family Monday, and when she went home to the 2700 block of Old Saint John’s Lane, she said she found her mother unconscious.
At the house were Won Koo Sung, 48; his wife Young Sin Sung, 47; and their son, Jason Sung, 19.
When Howard County Fire and Rescue arrived at the house, they said they found Won Koo Sung dead. His wife and son were taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma. They are listed in critical condition, according to police.
Investigators said they found an empty generator in a garage attached to the house that was turned on and that there was a high level of carbon monoxide in the air.
There was a carbon monoxide detector in the house, investigators said, but it had dead batteries.
While thousands of residents are still without power, police reminded residents not to use generators, camp stoves, grills or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside or outside near a window.
Police also say every house should have at least one working carbon monoxide detector. The batteries should be checked at least twice a year, at the same time as the smoke detector.