Ellicott City, Howard County Road Closures (UPDATE)
The following roads are closed due to flooding, according to the Howard County Police.
Updated Jan. 31 at 3:15 p.m.
Main Street in Ellicott City has been reopened, but many roads in Howard County are still closed due to flooding.
According to the Howard County Police Department, the following roads also are closed after last night’s heavy rains:
• 565 River Road
• West Friendship Road
• Hipsley Mill at the Montgomery County Line
• River Road between Rockburn and Lawyers Hill
• Race Road at Furnace Avenue
• Route 1 Southbound at the Prince George's County line (the Prince George's County side is closed).
• River Road and Levering Avenue at the Thomas Viaduct at the railroad tracks.
These roads also are closed due to a dam release:
• Mink Hollow at the Montgomery County Line
• Haviland Mill at the Montgomery County Line
According to police, the Howard County Office of Emergency Management is also monitoring the Patapsco River for rising water, as well as the Brighten Dam and Rocky Gorge.
A flood warning in Howard County issued by the National Weather Service (NWS) has been extended until 6:30 p.m. A flood warning means that flooding is “imminent or has been reported.” According to NWS, flash flooding is not expected, as stream rises will be slow.
NWS has also issued a wind advisory, in effect until 6 p.m. According to NWS, winds are blowing 20 to 30 mph with gusts as fast as 50 mph. Winds can bring down trees, particularly in soil that has been loosened from the heavy rains.
This article has been edited to indicate Main Street has been reopened and to add an additional closure to the list.